Tuesday 2 August 2016

Blood Axe Warband Update - Completion and Vehicles

It's with great pleasure I can announce my Blood Axe Ork warband is complete in time for BOYL. And with a week to spare!


I'm quite proud as it's a bit of milestone for me as I have never created a force from scratch with a deadline, more just pottered around growing a force organically as I see fit.

Sometimes it's hard going painting units especially so if the troops are uninspiring and uniform - but not so with this one. You may have noticed around 70% of the figures have been sculpted by the Goblinmaster Kev Adams that being the reason did not have this problem at all. His humorous and 'humanisation' of Orks breathes a new life into painting making it effortless. These greenskins have a variety of moods. They are bored, bemused, smug,  mischievous - none of the universal violent rage you often see in Ork models.

If you'd like to see the Goblinmaster in action himself he will be sculpting faces by request for charity at BOYL this Saturday. Something surely not be missed! There's more detail about this on Orlygg's excellent blog here.

Over the next few days I'll be showcasing the different characters and units of the force but right now I need to confess I had a big helping hand from Mustafa Bekir of Pantheon of Chaos fame. The land raider at the back is the centre piece and if its design seems slightly unfamiliar it's because he scratch built it only using materials from the 100¥ shop!






The construction of it is magnificent and really catches the sense that it has been kept running by being patched up after being stolen from an Imperial force. The painting complements it's battered design perfectly.

I'd already base coated my own Rhino when this had arrived in the post from Japan. Once I saw this paint job I just had to try and replicate it! After applying Mustafa's recipe this was the result.





I think the two vehicles have a good consistency in style now. I even tried to paint the blood axe symbol and vehicle numbering by freehand to link them together.

Until the next instalment....



4 comments:

  1. This is a great looking force with just the right balance between coherency in look and individuality.
    You also have some classic pieces which really give to the whole crew a special touch.
    This is just the kind of army we love to have in front of us so congrats and have fun with it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment JB. There's only a few pieces that aren't Kev so consistency was easy to maintain. See if you can spot the Olley :)

      Delete
  2. The "land raider" is pretty awesome. As I said before on a later post, I super like the rhino the paint scheme. I'd steal it, but I've started repainting my RT era vehicles vomit green and gray camo.

    Please post more, to get more attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again - I really do need to post more. Like most things it's a matter of commitment which I need to channel myself into :)

      Delete